The Liver/Spleen Nuclear Medicine Study demonstrates the distribution of the intravascular mononuclear phagocyte system. The intravascular members of this system are cells that line the sinusoids of the liver (Kupffer cells), spleen and bone marrow.
- Assessment of chronic liver disease.
- Assessment of liver or spleen size and configuration.
- Diagnosis of focal nodular hyperplasia.
- Detection of accessory splenic tissue.
The patient is brought into the department and a dose of a radiopharmaceutical is administered intravenously. After allowing 10 minutes for tracer circulation and absorption, images are obtained from several projections. Image acquisition will require approximately 30-45 minutes.
- 45 Minutes
- Ensure the patient is not pregnant or breastfeeding.